Week 10 – commencing Monday, 6 April 2020
On behalf of all of the staff here at our wonderful school, I would like to thank all of our children and families. Your words of support have kept us all motivated and have been greatly appreciated.
I would also like to acknowledge and thank every member of staff. The team has been incredible and I am very proud of everyone.
Finally, I would like to congratulate all of the children who have been working hard at home and all of the children who have been coming to school. We have heard some wonderful stories from families at home and the children at school have been absolutely amazing!
Learning at Home with Millen Primary School
The teachers have been working together to create weekly learning programs for your children. These will be easy to implement at home and many of the tasks will not require access to technology.
From next term (commencing Wednesday, 29 April), the parents of children in Kindergarten to Year 2 will hear from their child’s class teacher three times a week. The students in Years 3 – 6 will hear from their class teacher three time a week. This will be done via Connect.
- Every Monday, the parents of children in Kindergarten to Year 2 will receive a notice on Connect from their child’s teacher. Every Monday, the children in Years 3 – 6 will receive a notice on Connect from their class teacher. The notice will provide an outline of the week’s learning program, a recommended learning schedule and will include the following activities with supporting resources:
- Weekly inquiry/ project/ challenge/ topic
- Every Wednesday, the parents of children in Kindergarten to Year 2 will be contacted by their child’s teacher via Connect and every Wednesday the children in Years 3 – 6 will be contacted by their class teacher via Connect. Parents and children will be invited to share the following:
- Questions about tasks
- Interesting things learnt
- Funny anecdotes about learning at home
- Photographs of work or of children completing work
3. Every Friday, teachers will use the parents’ and students’ responses to prepare a weekly summary/reflection addressing the questions asked and sharing the students’ learning experiences and funny stories.
Parents of children in Kindergarten to Year 2 and children in Years 3 – 6 will also receive a weekly Notice on Connect each Thursday from the specialist teachers.
Teachers can be contacted directly via email during the day. They will answer your questions as soon as they can, either through the weekly summary/reflection, or via direct email.
It is important for all of us to remember that this is not ‘home schooling’, and it is not ‘online learning’ and it is not ‘the class program as it would have been’. We are all going through this together and learning together. As time goes on, the way you and your children are ‘Learning at Home with Millen Primary School’ will evolve and the work we are preparing for you and the way we are presenting it will evolve. Expect to experience challenges on the way, be ready for some good days and be ready for some not so good days and know that we are here to help you. Please ask for help if you need it, we will be here for you.
Thursday, 9 April: Pyjama Day – wear your pyjamas all day at home or at school!!
Friday, 10 April: Good Friday – the first day of school holidays
Tuesday, 28 April: School Development Day – Pupil Free Day
Wednesday, 29 April: First day of Term 2