Week 9 – beginning Monday, 14 June 2021
Millen Primary School’s Annual Report 2020
The Annual Report 2020 was endorsed by the School Board at their last meeting. A copy of this report has been emailed with this edition of the Katitjiny. You can also access a copy via the school’s website or via the Schools Online website.
This report takes on a different format due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. A significant component of a school’s annual report is usually based on an analysis of school-based and systemic data. Due to the pandemic, the National Assessment Program Literacy and Numeracy was cancelled, the attendance data was impacted significantly due to periods of children expected to learn at home and first semester reports across WA were ungraded.
I hope you still find this report to be an accurate reflection of this school year.
We will send a notification with the rescheduled carnival day early this week.
Uniform Items & Lost Property
Please check the names on your children’s jackets and hats in case they have one that is not theirs. If that’s the case, please return the named item to the office so it can be reunited with its correct owner.
Also, there is a mountain of un-named items in the orange tub on the veranda. If you’ve lost something, it may well be there.
Your Move Parent Survey
A big thank you to all the families that have completed the Your Move Parent Survey.
Soon the Your Move team, as a part of Planet Millen, will be looking at the results of the survey to determine which changes you would like to see in how our students travel to and from the school and the number of cars around Millen PS at pick up and drop off times.
The Your Move team of parents, students and teachers are committed to encouraging our students to use bikes, scooters, walking and public transport to get to and from school safely more often.
The survey will help us to find out a little about how you travel to school, what challenges you face using active modes of transport and where possible, find solutions to these challenges. We would like to reduce the number of cars at drop off and pick up times, to create a safer space around our school environment.
The team would love to hear your ideas so please take this last opportunity to take 5 minutes and complete the survey below.
Unfortunately, Greenbatch, recyclers of hard-to-recycle plastics, is no more. This means we are no longer able to accept your plastics for recycling. HOWEVER, the Containers for Change scheme is still operating and we have new bins (located outside the art room) to accept eligible items – see below.
In addition to this, the Planet Millen Waste sub-committee is continuing to come up with new ways to help our families recycle.
- The students in Room 5 will be collecting plastic bread tags. Pop the tags into a small envelope or re-usable zip-lock bag and send to school with your child. The Room 5 students will collect each week from the classrooms. There will be a reward for the classroom that collects the most.
- We are now a recycling collection hub for Oral Care Products including toothpaste tubes and caps, manual toothbrushes, electronic toothbrush heads, toothbrush and toothpaste plastic packaging and dental floss containers. Please make sure all items are clean and toothpastes tubes are empty. Items can be dropped in the designated bin located in the front office, outside the Art Room, or in the ECE area. To find out more you can visit https://www.terracycle.com/en-AU/brigades/oral-care-brigade-hubs-au
Of course, the best option is to try and avoid getting the plastic in the first place – Refuse, Reduce, Reuse, and Repurpose come before Recycle.
P&C Fundraiser – Tommy Sugo Pasta Drive
The Millen Primary School P&C, in conjunction with Tommy Sugo, are running a pasta drive to raise funds to put back into our school.
Delicious Tommy Sugo products can be ordered using the attached link (https://form.jotform.com/211508803350447). Orders are now open and close on 1st July 2021 with commission being donated to the P&C.
- Pasta products can be home delivered or picked up from the school canteen on Friday afternoons at 2.30pm during school term.
- We’d love you forward the link to family and friends, so they can also place orders to help us raise money for the school.
Monday, 14 June – NAIDOC incursion Years 1 – 2/3
Tuesday, 15 June – NAIDOC incursion Years 3 – 6
Wednesday, 16 June – Senior Assembly – Room 19
Friday, 18 June – Teachers vs Students soccer game
Wednesday 23 June
- NAIDOC Assembly – 8:35am
- Aboriginal Health Testing
Friday, 25 June
- Interschool Winter Sports Carnival for selected students
- Fire incursion – Year 3 students