Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Leadership Team & Cultural Learning
This student leadership team meets once a week to develop understandings about Australia’s history and culture, and about our local Nyoongar country. Our team works under the guidance of our Aboriginal and Islander Education Officer and our Deputy Principal.
In developing and sharing our knowledge we have:
- researched and shared information about influential Aboriginal women who exemplify our Millen values of respect, responsibility, resilience and excellence
- attended a ceremony at Kings Park to commemorate the service and sacrifice of Aboriginal service men and women.
- learned about agriculture and aquaculture from visiting Noongar leaders
- researched and planted a bush tucker garden.
- explored the differences between Aboriginal English and Standard Australian English
- created a video message showing our NAIDOC message for a shared future
- begun learning Noongar language
As our team develops understandings about our history and culture, we can share our knowledge with our classmates to work towards a true shared understanding of Australia’s past, and a shared vision for its future.