Pre-Primary at Millen
Welcome to Pre-primary at Millen. For some of you, this will be your first introduction to school. For others, you may now be familiar with Millen after having had your child attend our Kindy program.
This year focuses on experiential learning opportunities which result in important concepts for later development. Throughout the year the children participate in a range of whole-school activities which include incursions, assemblies and our end-of-year Edu-Dance concert.
The progression from Kindergarten to Pre-primary to Year one is a flowing process in which early learning habits are established.
Pre-Primary school hours
Classes commence at 8:30am
Classrooms open at 8:20am
(Please note that your child must not arrive at school before 8.20 am as there will be no supervision for them.)
School finishes at 2:45pm
Bringing and picking up your child
Making sure your child is happy and safe is our priority. For this reason, parents or a responsible person are to bring their child to Pre-Primary each day and be available to collect them at the end of the day.
If you wish your child to be collected by a person other than their guardian, please advise the teacher. Releasing a child to an older sibling is not permitted without your written consent.
Healthy food and drink
Millen is a “Crunch ‘n Sip” school, so please include a snack of fruit or vegetables for your child each day. They will also require recess and lunch separate from their Crunch ‘n Sip. We request that you provide only water in a drink bottle, not juice or soft drink.
Please notify staff if there is any food your child is allergic to or is not to eat, as we occasionally do cooking activities.
Bags and equipment
Your child will need two bags:
1. A reasonable sized bag or backpack, sufficient to fit a lunch box, drink container, morning snack, books, hat, spare clothes and schoolwork. This style of bag will help us to teach your child about keeping their belongings in one place and being responsible for their own property.
2. A library bag is also needed, to allow children to borrow books. This bag should be approximately 35 x 45cm and needs a Velcro fastening or drawstring handle to stop books falling out. Millen branded library bags are available through the Uniform Shop for $10.
They will also need a full set of spare clothing in their bag every day (underwear, shirt, shorts or trousers) in case of accidents and when children are involved in water play. In the cooler weather please also provide a jacket or jumper.
Please write your child’s name on everything so that it is visible.
‘Booklists’ for each year level can be found under the Parent Info tab.
Please ensure that all personal items, including clothing, are clearly marked with the child’s name.
Your child’s birthday
We love birthdays at Millen Primary School and are happy for you to bring in cupcakes or a special treat to help celebrate.
Your child will love having you visit and be part of their Pre Primary class. Parents are welcomed and needed, and there are a number of ways you can get involved:
- Assist with parent help roster.
- Go with the class on excursions.
- Volunteering to wash aprons and hand towels.
- Share any special skills you have with your child’s class (such as carpentry, weaving, pottery or cooking).
- Save your ice cream, yoghurt and margarine containers for us. Paper, cardboard, milk and orange juice cartons, tissues boxes, plastic bottles, milk bottle tops, old magazines, cereal boxes etc are all welcome.
- Attend parent workshops; attend the school P&C committee meetings.
Before assisting in any classrooms parents/carers must complete the Confidential Declaration. This Declaration verifies that parent/carers do not have any circumstances that preclude them from working with or near children.